Thursday, May 16, 2013

nap time dress

For my birthday I got a gift card from my in-laws (super sweet card) to my new addiction store... Hobby Lobby! So the other morning after we got back from our trip to the Oregon Coast, I loaded up the kids after their favorite breakfast and off to Hobby Lobby we went! after stopping at the candle shelves ( I could spend all day there and not even realize it!) we made it back to the fabrics, perused through them a bit then i meandered through the patterns and figured i had enough of both so we were just gonna leave. Well on the way through the checkout aisles a book caught my eye. It's called "Making Children's clothes" 25 stylish step-by-step sewing projects for 0-5 years, including full-sized paper patterns by Emma Hardy.

This book is exactly what it says it is, step-by-step instructions with patterns attached in the back of the book. As there are 25 patterns (not including the applique patterns for some of the projects), and there are only 2 pages for the actual patterns its best to use some tracing paper or parchment paper. I liked using the wax paper as its really sturdy to draw on and my scissors glide through it when I'm cutting it out and still see-through enough for me to get the clean lines of the pattern I'm tracing as they are all available in various sizes.


I ordered the fabric i used on Etsy at www.etsy.com/shop/LMSIAFabrics


I chose these fabrics from the same Michael Miller line by Patty Young. i just love the lotus blossoms and the little spot of pink in them that make this fabric so versatile for my girls' wardrobe





the dress pattern i chose is actually for a night gown but i love how it looked in these fabrics so i know i wont feel like she shouldn't wear it out if the house.





 My big girl was so so excited to get her dress on! she watched me cut the pieces out and pin them together...she was by my side every step of the way and ready for her close up as soon as she got it on.
  
start to finish with no interruptions it was probably a 2 hour project. i have 3 other little girls i want to make this style of dress for. So keep on the look out for my new favorite, super easy, super cute dress. It's the perfect size for her with a bit of room to grow as the sleeves are just above the wrist as it is. I cannot wait for her to wear this to school this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment